Thursday, January 31, 2008

The perfect storm

This is a storm of happy news and it has really lifted my spirits!

First of all, I have been sleeping better thanks to this magical invention. It is a weighted blanket designed for autistic kids because they found feeling pressure on their skin can help calm their mind. In the past, I have slept on my stomach because the pressure of my body on my thighs helps calm my restless legs. Sleeping on my stomach hasn't been much of an option and so my friend recently loaned me her son's weighted blanket. It isn't a miracle cure (neither was sleeping on my stomach), but it has helped enough so that I have been getting more and better sleep each night. Things have improved so much that the last two nights I haven't even used it (the restless legs are worse when I am sleep deprived)

I have also been invited to participate in a public health forum that our local public radio station is hosting on infertility. As a means to spark interest and help define the direction of the forum, they are doing a story on fertility as well. This is all very exciting, but also anxiety producing, especially since the other two people on the "panel of experts" are both MD's. One is my very own RE and the other is the OB who was on call when I went into preterm labor with Ernest (not that she remembers). The last couple of days have been particularly stressful because I had to submit a headshot and a short bio. How would I look compared to the doctors who probably have a headshot taken when they were 25 (by a professional, no doubt) and a bio that includes degrees instead of failed cycles? Well, I did the best I could and sent it off today. No matter how it looks to the public, at least I am done and can forget about the whole thing for a bit.

A minor, but likely contributing event, is that I shared a mocha with my husband on the way to work today. I try to keep these to a minimum for the babies sake - I probably average less than one a week - and it was sooooo good in a way it can only be when you haven't had one in a while.

Finally, yesterday Brad had a surprise business trip come up. He is leaving in just 13 days and will be gone for a week. Why is this a good thing? Because I am going with him and we are going here!

10 comments:

Tracy said...

All of it exciting news, but mostly I'm jealous about the trip!

That blanket sounds interesting...I've always slept much better with some weight on me.

Have a great time, and I'm sure you'll do smashingly on the forum.

AwkwardMoments said...

WOW all of that wonderful news wrapped up nicely in one post - Congrats! Have a great trip!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I am so freaking jealous (about T&C, not about the mocha).

That blanket sounds cool. I've always needed be be covered up, even in the summer. Maybe I need to be calmed?

Unknown said...

Awesome about the Forum, I am going to see if I can listen in that day! You will do a wonderful job no doubt.

Enjoy T&C you deserve the trip.

MrsSpock said...

Oh my God, why can't my husband's business trips end up there? Sounds exciting!

wifethereof said...

Fantastic! I'll think of you enjoying the warm sun and romantic beaches by moonlight.

Ann said...

Wow, brave you to go on the radio! It's awesome that you're helping get the word out.

Frenchie said...

That's all so great!! I'm jealous about the trip!

Anonymous said...

haha... you and I are both headed for some public appearances... just be yourself, you were great on the phone when we spoke... : )

I found your blanket comment extremely interesting as one of the things that calms me down when I'm anxious and can't sleep is... bundling myself in blankets and also (kinda strange) putting a pillow against my back. It's the pressure, the feeling that something is there that calms me.

m said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! Great news - all of it! You are going to be great on the forum. I just know it.