Monday, March 22, 2010

Encourage, Discouraged, and Encouraged Again

No, no baby yet.  At least not one I can hold in my arms.  Apparently LBII is just too comfortable.

I was very encouraged by the comments in my previous post.  Thank you very much.

I have to say I was very bummed when the equinox came and went.  I was feeling like my body had let me down again.  Maybe I will feel that way again if things don't turn around, but I find I am encouraged again.

Surprisingly I made it to my OB appointment today.  I really thought I would have this kid before the equinox but then as it got closer I was sure it would be on the equinox.  Now it is two days past, I am 41 weeks and 1 day - the same as when LB was born after I went into labor spontaneously - and still no sign that things are changing.

My OB, a self described 'vaginal birth advocate' is just fine with waiting until 42 weeks before wanting to intervene.  We talked about how things might go at that point and a cesarean birth is most likely.  If my cervix is favorable we might be able to induce, but I'm not sure if I would want to take that chance.  Before my cesarean I always said I would never induce / augment a VBAC.  Of course, I could ignore his advice and go longer than 42 weeks, but I'm not sure I would want to make that decision either.  The chances of still birth start to go up after 42 weeks per the literature my OB has followed, but I don't know what that means . . . from 1 in 1000 to 2 in 1000? I guess I would have to know more, but even if the chances were small it would be tough to go against his advice on that one.

I am very much hoping we won't get to that point.

The good news is that both my OB and midwife are confident that I will go into labor on my own before the week is out.  They both said gestation times are determined by the baby and full siblings tend to go about the same amount of time.  I am crossing my fingers.  I hope the next post is about labor starting.

7 comments:

battynurse said...

Dang. I'm hoping with you that things start moving all on their own soon. Thinking of you lots.

Caro said...

The standard here is to let you go to 42 weeks and then induce. I'm not sure if it is different with a VBAC though.

Leah said...

I hope you go into labor soon and that this birth is a wonderful experience you get to enjoy in the comfort of your own home.

My fingers are crossed and I can't wait to hear the happy news. xoxo

niobe said...

Sigh. Hoping for some really, really good news soon!

Sara said...

Good luck! I've heard the same thing about siblings going at about the same time. Hopefully LBII will be here soon!

musicmakermomma said...

I would go with his advice - you love this guy! Would he steer you wrong? But hopefully you will go into labor while we are chatting over coffee tomorrow! Now, that would be exciting - and it would be excellent fodder for my blog. So tell LBII tomorrow is the day!

MrsSpock said...

Hope LB II squeaks in right before that 42 weeks mark...