Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A good time was had by all

I just got back from meeting two other ladies doing DE at my clinic. No thanks to the nurse mentioned in the previous post - they both just happened onto my support group and contacted me. S emailed me about a month ago and we met up a couple of times and then M just contacted me last night. They both hope to cycle in November

The three of us got together over coffee and had a wonderful time. I am amazed at how funny infertility can be in the right environment. We shared stories of the first time our husbands had to submit that sample, talked about how we should keep a guest book for all those doctors and nurses who have visited our . . . well, you know . . . , commiserated over how our clinic tends to treat people like a number, etc. It was a wonderful time. I hope we can get together again soon.

The funny thing is, we talked for hours, but while I can tell you intimate details about the ladies' reproductive system, I would be hard pressed to come up with one of their husband's names. It is amazing, and sometimes still surprising, how people who are complete strangers can connect so instantly and deeply when we share the experience of infertility.

Thank you, S & M ("S & M" . . .hee hee ) for a wonderful time.

13 comments:

Meg said...

S & M - LOL....glad you had a great time. I would love to be able to hook up with other people that are going through this. And honestly I think it would help my husband a lot. I have the blogs, boards etc as an outlet he has nothing - I know he would love to meet another cool couple going through this. Anyway, good for you and I hope you get to meet up with them more often :)

SULLY said...

Who needs that nurse anyway! I am glad you found some companions!!!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

The guestbook idea cracks me up.

So happy you found each other.

Leah said...

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your meeting. I've found it to be very comforting to be around some IF peers.

I laughed out loud about the guestbook thing, I'm sure I should be embarrassed about the horde that's paraded through my nether regions, but I just don't care anymore. :-)

I'm excited about your upcoming cycle!!

AwkwardMoments said...

Oh yeah real life bodies are always fun to interact with ESPECIALLY if they "get it". Good for you for advocating for yourself

Pamela T. said...

Camaraderie is so essential when moving into the unknown. Glad you were able to find it with S&M.

One View said...

How nice you were able to find someone in your city that you can hook up with. Although I love this on-line community and support, I think real life support and friendships are even more special. Glad you were able to find that... :) :)

Babe* said...

It's nice to have a real person to talk to especially when it comes to IF.

Drowned Girl said...

Just wanted to say good luck!!

Geohde said...

I'm glad that you got around your unhelpful clinic. It sounds like a good experience.

xx

J

E. Phantzi said...

A guestbook! That's awesome - maybe you could crochet a welcome mat too :-)

K said...

That's so nice. And very brave of you to start something like that!

Anonymous said...

sounds liek a great time Kami. It really is remarkable that you were ale to find such a great group of women through this experience. Nice!

Wish i could same the same in my neck of the woods, but that's what blogs are for right?